Monday, December 15, 2008

The beginning is the end is the beginning...

So, I've tried this whole blogging thing a couple of times before, and, for some reason or another, I've bailed out on it. This time, however, having been inspired by my old friend David Dollar and his ever interesting and humorous blog, I am going to try and stick with it. My hope for this space is for it to be somewhere I can be random and interesting and occasionally funny and give my friends and whomever else is interested a place to get a little bit of a glimpse into my life. So, there you have it.
It's Monday morning and I am at work. For those of you who are saying, "So what? I go to work every Monday", this is like being at work on a Saturday. Mondays are usually a day for me to rest, watch movies, run errands, clean house, etc., etc. And, adding insult to injury, it's raining, which is more reason for me to lament the fact that I had to get out of bed and drive to work, because I absolutely despise driving in the rain. I know, with the economy being what it is, and seeing friends of mine struggle to even find a job, I should feel fortunate, and don't get me wrong, I do. I actually like my job. As a self-proclaimed tomboy, working at a motorcycle shop with a bunch of guys and get to goof off and talk about sports and get paid for it is a great thing. But, I do like my days off, too.
Changing the subject, part of the reason I'm starting this blog is to try and get my writing skills back to where they used to be, because I'm planning to return to school this coming fall. It has always been a dream for me to be involved in the sports reporting world in some capacity, and so I'm going to school to study journalism in hopes of becoming a sportswriter. Everyone that has known me at all has told me that I would be great at it, and I know this as well. I would like to do either print journalism of some sort (newspaper, magazine, online, etc.) or possibly radio, since I've been told that I have a pretty decent voice for radio. I'm 28 years old, I'm not getting any younger, so if I don't do it now, I probably never will, and I'll be left wondering what if.
I'm listening to WJOX right now as I always do when I'm at work, and the big news of the day is Auburn's hire of Gene Chizik as their new head coach. For those who don't know, I am an ardent, obnoxious, bleeding-crimson Alabama fan. I started out as an Auburn fan when I was very young, because my maternal grandfather was an Auburn graduate, and I felt bad that the rest of the family was against him. Of course, I got grief from my family for this, so when I was 5, I announced that the team that won the next Iron Bowl would earn my allegience. This was 1985, and if you remember your sports history, that year was the year of the last-second Van Tiffin field goal that caused Alabama to win. So, I have been an Alabama fan ever since. Naturally, I would be very distraught if Auburn had gone out and hired a Steve Spurrier or someone of high caliber as their coach, but they hired... Gene Chizik. I'm sorry, but Gene Chizik? Really? Really?! I'm completely dumbfounded by the fact that Jay Jacobs, the Auburn athletic director, could get up at the press conference where they fired Tommy Tuberville (which I think was a complete mistake, the man has one bad season in nine, wins 6 straight over their archrival and is a highly respected coach, and they just toss him away) and announce that he is doing a nationwide search where "money is no object" and the best they can come up with is Gene Chizik, who was 5-19 at Iowa St. I mean, am I completely missing something here? Sure, he was the defensive coordinator at Auburn when they had their undefeated season in 2004, but being a good coordinator and being a good head coach are two completely different things (perfect example of this: Mike DuBose). They could have had Turner Gill, who has been impressive at Buffalo in just three seasons, but I guess Auburn is still not ready to have an African-American head coach. So, it looks like Auburn will be back to being a mediocre program for the foreseeable future. As an obnoxious Alabama fan, I have no problem with this. This means a winning streak of our own over Auburn, and it means that we can have our pick of the best recruits in the state. The downside is it will drag down our strength of schedule. Sorry, Auburn fans, I had to say it.
On a different note, I ran into one of my exes yesterday. It was weird. I hadn't seen this guy in probably seven years, and our relationship didn't end well, but it was good to see him. He hadn't changed much, it looked like he had gained some weight, but we all have. Of course, I was transformed back into the little, shy, insecure 19 year old girl that I was when we were together, which was not a good thing, and apparently, he still makes me nervous, because I found myself stumbling over my words. It's okay, though. I'm not worried about it, but it's interesting how something like that will affect you. It made me think about stuff I hadn't thought about in years, and it made me wonder what might have happened if things had been different, but then I remembered that I wasn't at fault in that situation, and that what happened happened for a reason. Anyway, so there's that.
I guess that's all I have for now. I will try to post again in a couple of days.
S
PS-- On a side note, if you were wondering about the title I used for this post, it's the title of a song by the Smashing Pumpkins. It was on the soundtrack for one of the really cheesy Batman movies in the mid-90s, and, thanks to Wikipedia, I know that it will be on the soundtrack for the new Watchmen movie that's coming out next spring. That movie looks interesting, and thanks to my ex-husband, I have developed an affinity for the "comic book movies" (i.e. Batman, X-Men, etc.), so I'll probably end up seeing it.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog... 2 things... 1) Make your blog about what interests you. Be real, be fun. Be yourself.
    2) Think about putting a line space between thoughts. Maybe every paragraph, maybe every few paragraphs, however you want. It keeps text from being this big block of words and makes for easier reading. Just my thoughts. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this guy, your english teacher? Advice is worth what you pay for it... If your mindtrack doesn't include spaces, paragraph breaks and punctuation marks - don't include them. I'm a fan of a hand written journal anyway. Love you, M

    ReplyDelete